Job Readiness Training
The Springfield Urban League serves as an Illinois WorkNet portal that provides community residents access to online training, employment opportunities, resources and workshops. Local residents are able to participate in instructor led or one-on-one courses including the following: Basic Computer, Internet & Email Skills, Basic Word and Excel, resume development, and interview etiquette. Free access for printing and research is also available for the public at two Urban League facilities in Springfield, IL.
COMMUNITY TECHNOLOGY TRAINING CENTER
The League remains dedicated to being part of a larger network of workforce professionals committed to raising the economic standards, health and technology education level of the Springfield community. In association with the Land of Lincoln Goodwill Industries, training classes are being provided at the League's 100 North 11th Street location.
Free internet access is available from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM each weekday but does close at 1 PM each Wednesday for class.
Please call 217.789.0830 to register for classes.
- Introduction to Computers 102: Microsoft Office Suite
- September 11, 2019: 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Explore the Microsoft Office suite. Learn to write documents, take notes, create spreadsheets, and more. Our Office training covers a wide range of software titles including Excel, Publisher, Outlook, SharePoint, Word, Access and PowerPoint.
- Introduction to Computers 103: Google Business Suite
- September 18, 2019: 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Learn to write documents, take notes, create spreadsheets, digital presentations and more. Our training covers a variety of apps including Drive, Docs, Slides, Sheets, Forms and Hangouts.
- Introduction to Computers 104: Final Project
- September 25, 2019: 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Using knowledge from the previous classes, build and present a final project from a set of technology topics. Research selected topic using the internet, create presentation with Microsoft or Google product and present slideshow to class.
The CTTC Lab is located at the Springfield Urban League's Administrative Office located at 100 N. 11th Street in Springfield, Illinois. Please call 217.789.0830 to register for classes.
Tests of Adult Basic Education (TABE) is designed specifically for adult populations. It is standardized tests that assess student mastery of basic educational skills in reading and math. The results of the test evaluate your ability to understand the curriculum of your chosen training program, as well as your ability to pass any required state certification and licensing exams.
Your score will be a grade point average, not a pass of fail, and the acceptable score/level will depend on the training program you are interested in attending.
The following links will provide you with resources that may assist you in preparing for and achieving an optimal score on the TABE Test:
Basic Addition | Math Secrets | Math Practice | Math Decimals | Multiplying Positive and Negative Numbers | Adding & Subtracting Integers | Percentages | Fractions | Reading Skills for TABE | Reading Comprehension
To take the TABE Test for FREE and receive tutoring call the Springfield Urban League Inc. 217-789-0830 Ext. 1604
Land of Lincoln Workforce Alliance Community Centers provide workshops and job readiness in your community.
1300 South 9th Street, Springfield, IL 62703 Phone: (217) 524-5996 Fax: (217) 524-6096 TTY Service: (217) 558-3530 Mon – Fri 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Heartland Community College 620 Broadway Lincoln, Illinois 62656 Phone: (217) 651-8193 Tuesdays & Fridays 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Menard County Courthouse 102 South 7th Street Petersburg, Illinois 62675 Phone: (217) 632-4412 Fridays 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
LLCC Beardstown Center 109 White Pine Lane Beardstown, Illinois 62618 Phone: (217) 323-1853 Thurs 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
WORK/LIFE READINESS CAMP
Orientation every Monday @10:00 AM
Springfield Urban League Inc.
Empowerment Center/ 257 Studio
700 South Livingston Ave.
Springfield, IL 62703
217-241-5990 Ext. 1600
- Case Management
- Life Skills/Goal Setting
- Financial Planning
- Job Placement
- Resume Generator