Walker-Miller Energy Services is an 18-year-old Detroit-based, core-values driven company committed to changing lives through energy efficiency. We create and manage customized energy waste reduction programs that help electric and gas utilities meet mandated energy savings goals.
Our experience driven philosophy of energy efficiency as economic development helps families and businesses save energy and save money. Through innovative, inclusive initiatives, we help build communities by creating local jobs, producing equitable energy savings for all rate payers, and spurring the growth of diverse local businesses.
Our operating philosophy is reflected in our core values. We refer to them as B-Hive.
B - Boldly Go
H - Humble Confidence
I - Inclusive Stewardship
V - Value Reputation
E - Extraordinary Experience
The Energy Advisor I is primarily responsible for providing our services directly to homeowners, landlords, building owners, and other utility customers. You will provide expert advice and coordination for our programs while recommending specific modifications to electric and/or gas systems; you will also convince prospective clients of the improved efficiency that our services will bring. This role combines fieldwork with office time (typically three field days to two office days per week). Responsible for providing business customers with energy efficiency education and information about available incentives and services with other programs. This position is also responsible for screening customers for energy audit eligibility. Energy Advisor will perform energy audits or coordinate the energy audit for customers who pass the screening. The Energy Advisor is responsible for ensuring complete customer satisfaction regarding energy efficiency inquiries. You will also be working with others who are passionate about energy efficiency and making a positive impact on the industry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as management may deem necessary from time to time.
· Coordinate with Energy Efficiency Concierges to perform energy audits and reports
· Sell the virtues of participating in the programs and by committing to a project
· Promote the energy efficiency program to customers and trade allies within your assigned territory
· Work with building owners and property managers to provide energy efficiency advice and assistance in participating in energy efficiency programs
· Develop a comprehensive understanding of the program’s strategic direction regarding energy efficiency and the business activities of its customers
· Identify and provide documentation of on-site opportunities for energy efficiency and provide follow-up to customers as required
· Discuss technical elements of energy consuming equipment—i.e., lighting, HVAC, hot water systems, building and pipe insulation, and air sealing
· Enter data into spreadsheets and databases to determine energy savings and to manage current projects which may also include collaborating with Energy Engineers as required
· Maintain professional appearance appropriate for a representative of our organization and the utility
· Build quick rapport with customers. Quickly initiate conversations with customers on site regarding energy usage at the facility
· When required, provide written summary reports directly to the customer, and summary reports to the client/Program Manager
· Be able to work in a team atmosphere, and willing to collaborate on continuous improvement of operations year after year
· Assist Program Manager in the training of new team members
· Lead presentations promoting energy efficiency programs for targeted groups, if necessary
· All other duties as assigned
· Assist in establishing and then managing collaboration and coordination among mechanical, insulation, air sealing, weatherization, remodeling contractors
· Coordinate, schedule and manage implementation contractors performing HVAC, air sealing and building shell improvements for each project
· Perform post audit diagnostics, measurement and verification
· May perform direct installation of low flow showerheads, faucet aerators and compact fluorescent lamps and other direct install measures in qualified residential projects as needed
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience. Technical school degree combined with demonstrated experience in the electric/gas utility field will be considered. Equivalent work experience may be considered.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
· Required to sit, stand, walk; talk and hear; and ability to touch and handle tools and/or controls
· The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl
· Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
· Noise level is typically moderate
· May occasionally be exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock
· May occasionally be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat and vibration. In these circumstances, the employee will be required to comply with the prevailing safety training in place according to the individual customer requirements
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The above information describes the general duties and requirements necessary to perform the principle functions of the position. This shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the duties and requirements that may be necessary in this position.
Walker-Miller Energy Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· 1-2 years of experience in the electric or natural gas utility industry, facilities management, HVAC design or sales, commercial and industrial lighting, or conservation and energy management.
· Previous energy efficiency and/or energy modeling experience - Preferred
· Previous customer service, sales, or marketing experience
· Must be self-motivated, organized and have an ability to prioritize workload
· Must be flexible to handle a wide work variety and work at a fast pace
· Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook
· Strong data entry skills in entering information in tracking systems/databases
· Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with customers, clients and employees
· Ability to analyze and interpret data and solve practical problems
· Knowledge of mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages and ratios
· Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
· Willingness to travel 50% or more of the time, occasional overnight
More Opportunities View All